This one actually went out Wednesday, and was delivered today (one day later!) and the customer is thrilled! This one was challenging because the size meant I had to change a few things, but I'm happy with it now that those details are worked out. There's another like it in the kiln now, a few differences but still red clay that will get the oxide stain, with swirls and spirals, same size. I think it'll sell quite well, because I've had several looks from people searching for 'extra large orchid pot' or variations on that. I'll do a few more, its a nice size for cymbidiums and the like.
This one is done and ALMOST out the door, it's packed and ready to go out tomorrow. I'm happy with how the details on the dogs came out, and the buyer is happy too. :) Curious to see what the final recipient thinks, this one is also going to end up in-state so it should get there pretty quick.
So, anyway, I finished loading a bisque firing that will have the second orchid pot, a couple of small orchid pots, and some tiles in it from me, plus stuff from the rest of the mudsling. We had a huge number of tall items in the last firing, 3 1/2 shelves worth to go on 2 shelves, so this load is mostly just the left overs from last load! I am not a huge fan of firing the kiln half full, but everyone is working big lately! :) Ah well, that's the way it works, I'll fire the glaze load Saturday so everyone can have their Christmas goodies!
Clay has always fascinated me, its many colors and textures, the shapes you can create using it, even the feel of it squishing in my hand. Even after years of playing in the mud I find myself exploring new ideas and I hope my work shows this.