SO! Orchid pot version 3.... this one is supposed to be about 7 inches across and 6 inches tall... The design was a bit of a challenge but I've got that whipped, I hope! I had to modify the shape some and use thicker pieces of clay so it would hold up its own weight off the form. LAST one (before I modified the form) I had to fight off the form and it just collapsed slowly as I watched it... the FIRST one didn't even make it off the form, but that was my own stupid fault. It got too dry and cracked. THIS one floop, lifted right off. FINALLY! Anyway, hopefully the customer will be happy! Its now finishing its drying down at the art center and will be ready to fire in a week or so. There IS a back up too, I built a second one out of a different clay JUST IN CASE..... :) They'll be finished with a wash of iron oxide and rubbed back, so the details will be popped by darker areas where there are shadows, and where the oxide gets wiped off it'll just look antiqued. Should be a brick red where the oxide is thin, almost black where its thicker. The other one should be a little lighter (the clay isn't quite as high in the iron) but otherwise similar. NICE, I think. The good thing is, once I figured out the form and was not fighting old clay, my time estimate was right on. PHew!... :)
Another view of the same pot, other side of the table. :) You can see the form off to the right behind the papers. Also have a rebuild on the other pot (the cracked one) going, and the bisque firing that just came out has the cracked version. Looking good, so the design works just fine.
Clay has always fascinated me, its many colors and textures, the shapes you can create using it, even the feel of it squishing in my hand. Even after years of playing in the mud I find myself exploring new ideas and I hope my work shows this.